Children and pregnant women are better not exposed to chemical fumes in closed spaces. Polyurethane in oil-based paints does not cause much fumes. When the area is well ventilated and direct exposure is avoided, there is less reason to worry. The odd taste and burning indicate irritation with residual fumes which subside in due course of time without any harm. Care should be taken when people with allergies are exposed. Prolonged exposure in pregnancy
may result in miscarriages and birth defects. Since you have ventilated your house well and did not get direct exposure chances of danger are less. Yet, I suggest that you inform your wife's doctor about the incident and take advice. Good luck.