Friction burns on knees and elbows. Should I apply a bandage or apply ointment?

I have moderate rug/friction burns on both knees and elbows. They were sustained about 4 days ago. They have began to scab over in some areas, and all of the affected sites are not infected; there is also no discharge from any of the burns. I obtained the burns from playing soccer on astroturf (fake grass). I have another game tomorrow where I will be doing more sliding/diving on the astroturf, although this time I have pads for my elbows/knees. My main question is should I apply a bandage or gauze over the wounds, or would it be better to simply put antibacterial ointment on them and leave the wounds uncovered? If I should use bandages and/or gauze, how do I remove the gauze if it sticks to the discharge from the wound?
Asked On : Tue, 11 Dec 2012
as the lesions are forming scab there are less chances of superinfection. however, it would be advisable to put topical antibacterial and gauge bandage as you going to face friction again. put lot of cotton padding while dressing with gauze. if the gauze piece gets stuck to the wound , you should wet it with sterile water and leave it for sometime. it will be easier to remove the stuck gauze then.
hope your query got answered.
Dermatologist Dr. Raghuveer Murki's  Response
Hello.u should not use bandage or gause for such kind of burns.Apply a antibiotic cream and oral antibiotic and a anti inflammatory agent