Fresh blood on qtip after inserting in the ear. Punctured ear drum?

I putt a q tip in my ear and when I brought it out it had a little bit of fresh blood . My ears have always had a huge amount of wax in them, but this blood scared me a little. Last week I was sick and my ears hurt quite a bit, but it passed. What could have happened? Could I have punctured my ear drum? What should I do?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
Bleeding could be due to trauma to external ear.If bleeding is associated with loss of hearing ,then chances are there that this bleeding could due to rupture of ear drum.
Consult an ENT surgeon who may be able to examine you to dtermine whether you have ruptured your drum or not.
Hope this answers your question.