Frequent vaginal spotting. Negative pregnancy test. History of irregular periods. Causes for spotting?

For as long as I can remember, my periods have been about 3 to 4 months apart, very irregular. These past two months I have had occasional spotting that lasts about 4 days, but now it s only about two weeks apart. I read somewhere that some spotting could be a sign of implantation so I took a pregnancy test last time this occurred and it was negative. What else could be the cause of sudden, more frequent periods?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Feb 2013