Frequent stomach pains leading to diarrhea and constipation. Tests showed inflammation of ileum, sessile polyp. Possible causes?

I am 48 female and have been suffering with bouts of major stomach pain for over ten years. These episodes bring about diarrhea and constipation .generally once what seems like an obstruction passes I feel normal within a day. I have seen many doctors over the years. I most recently ended up in the hospital and CT scan revealed inflammation of the ileum. Colonoscopy found sessile polyp and a thickened ileum which were both sent to be biopsied. I m waiting on results what causes thickening of the ileum
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013