Frequent eruption of tiny red bumps on the lateral surface of fingers on waking up, severe itching. History of shingles. Cause?

From time to time over the last 5 years or so I wake up in the morning with a few tiny red bumps on the lateral surfaces of my fingers. There is a tiny dark spot in the middle. The bumps are itchy and with this episode (4-5 concentrated on one digit) a bit of nerve pain . I thought for a long time I had been bitten by an insect, however my husband is never as fortunate- ie he never gets bitten or has the spots. In the past I have had 2 very small episodes of shingles , at a young age and a few over reactions to poison ivy. What could this possibly be? Is it contagious?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013