Frequent bowel movements, constipation, soft stools, lighter colored stools with brown mucus. Causes and treatment?

I have been pooping quite a bit lately, almost every time I use the restroom. The poop does not come out easily, at least not as easily as I am used to, however the feces is not pellet like, it is smooth. It is a little lighter than usual, but still brown. My diet last week was terrible, fatty foods, sugars, it gave me cramps in my lower abdomen for two days, but I have been better about my diet this week. I have been having digestive issues a great deal ever since last may when I tried a almost no carb diet. Sometimes there is a mucous on the poop, that is brownish.
Asked On : Sun, 29 Apr 2012