Frequent UTI, severe pain in groin, lower back, advised self catheterizing to prevent infections. What else can be done?

I get frequent UTI s and have to have antibiotics - co-amoxiclav 500/125mg. With the infections I get severe pain in my right groin and lower back - my GP provides the antibiotics and pain relief but this does not get to the root of the problem. I said I feel as if there is a split between the bladder and the bowel as one seems to be affecting the other - but advised now to self catheterise to try to stop the infections - any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012