Fractured humurus, use sling at night, taking supplements, get intense shoulder pain. Is a small dose of narcotics necessary?

I FRACTURED MY HUMURUS AFTER A FALL DOWN A STAIRCASE. I AM 50 YRS, OLD. MY ORTHO REFUSES TO GIVE ME PAIN MEDS AND I HAVE BEEN IN A SLING SINCE OCT.20,2012. HE IS WEANING ME OFF THE SLING BUT I HAVE TO WEAR IT AT NIGHT AND WHEN I GO OUT. I AM TAKING SUPPLEMENTS AND AM GAINING MOBILITY BUT I HAVE INTENSE PAIN IN MY SHOULDER THAT IS SO INTENSE I AM OVERWHELMED BY IT. DO YOU THINK A SMALL DOSE OF NARCOTICS IS NECESSARY? I REALLY CAN T TAKE THE PAIN AND AM THINKING OF FINDING ANOTHER DOCTOR?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013