Fractured ankle mistaken for sprain. Having itching on the ankle. Is it a bad symptom?

Hi, I fractured my ankle on the 5th of August but didn t go to the doctor till a week later because I thought it was just a sprain since I could still walk. I had a splint on for two weeks and after I went back and had a boot put on and I was told to not take it off for anything and to treat it as if it were a cast. I have recently been getting very itchy on my ankle and would like to know if that s a good sign.
Asked On : Sat, 29 Sep 2012
Hi there,

Itching over ankle may be due to either, ongoing compression over, irritation or, recovery of the nerve- which was apparently injured following fracture.
Perception of an abnormal sensation is good sign, as it indicates that the concerned nerve is still functional.

Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me, order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable/modified treatment as advised.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” (5-star rating) to my answer, to ENCOURAGE ALL doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal