Foul vaginal odor before periods, white discharge. Taking flagyl for bacterial vaginosis. Treatment?

Hi there, I’ve noticed that before my period, I have a distinct odor that is really bad. I also have white discharge heavier than normal and I can get itchy some times. A few months ago, I had gone through many tests such as those for STIs and urine cultures, and all came back negative. My doctor thought it could be bacterial vaginosis and put me on metronidazole ( Flagyl ). I believed it worked because I didn’t smell anything after I finished taking the pills. However, I am noticing now that it is occurring a week or so before my period. I wanted to know if you have any suggestions of what I can do. For example, take Flagyl as soon as I start to smell. However, I don’t know if there are any serious side effects if I take it 12 times in a year. Or please let me know if there are any questions I am failing to bring up to my doctor. Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 22 Jul 2012