Foul smell in mouth, yellow cotton stuffing, filling came out loose with foul smell. Had four fillings. Advise?

A little over a year ago I went to have some dental work done. Growing up I had not insurance and had been to a dentist once in my 26 years. Last year it had been nearly 18 years. They were amazed I did not have even worse problems. I was able to afford half the work I needed at the time which was 4 fillings. I had a tooth that had been worked on and after about a month developed a large infection. Face totally swelled up. Went back and they had to cut into the gum to drain. She had removed the filling and refilled it. She never mentioned to me the need to come back in the near future. About a month later I was eating a baked potato chip and part of the tooth broke off and part of the filling came out. Months later I began to notice a foul smell in my mouth and noticed the rest of the filling was loose. I tugged it out and out came a bunch of cotton stuffing that was yellow and disgusting smelling. The filling was also this porous white material which smelt just awful as well. I've had this huge hole in my tooth for over a year now. No problems with it as I make sure to clean it out after every eating. I don't understand if that was a normal filling or what the dentist had planned for the tooth.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013