Forehead injury, no swelling, have skull indentation, no headache, painful to touch

yesterday evening I smacked my head into a large wooden peg, the part i hit was my forehead just above my right eye socket , there was a loud cracking sound when i did it but i haven t broken the skin and there doesn t appear to be any swelling but i am a little concerned as i can feel a definite dip in my skull, i don t have a headache but it is painful to touch.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Nov 2013
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
There will inevitably be some swelling of the area even though the skin has not been broken. The pain you are experiencing would be normal after an injury such as this. The dip you can feel is most likely to be the result of the swelling around the injury.
I suggest you take paracetamol and ibuprofen if you need pain relief. Rest if possible. I expect you will feel better in 24-48 hours. If you start to feel very nauseous or start vomiting or become unexpectedly drowsy these would be indications to go to the ER.
I hope you feel better soon.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.