For what purpose susten 100mg injection is used ?

I am 28 yrs old and im fourth month pregnant. Pls let me know for what purpose susten 100mg injection is used ?
Asked On : Sun, 28 Nov 2010

susten 100mg injection is micronized progesterone.

During the pregnancy, the progesterone does many things(in conjunction with estrogen): Makes the endometrium develop, Maintains the functions of the placenta, Stops the uterus making spontaneous movements, Stimulates the growth of breast tissue, Prevents lactation until after the birth (with estrogen),Strengthens the mucus plug covering the cervix to prevent infection, Strengthens the pelvic walls in preparation for labour,Stops the uterus from contracting. At the end of the pregnancy, the levels of progesterone secreted by the placenta drop off. It is this action that stimulates the beginning of the contractions that will lead to birth.

Supplements of natural progesterone are sometimes prescribed as a fertility treatment or to assist in reducing the risk of miscarriage.

Dr. Jagdish