Foot pain. No redness, swelling. No injury. Reason?

Hi,my husband has had fot pain for 8 months now,the pain appears on top of the flat of his foot ,their is no inflamation i can see,i slid my finger along one of the bones and he than yelled with pain,their is no redness or swelling or heat in that area.just pain,he does nt remember injuring his foot,we do alot of prospecting in wa from march to oct and than we rest in the summer months,so this summer he has rested the whole time but still get alot of pain after 5 min of standing or walking..he is 45yo and is of good health and is of thin build.though he does smoke .please can you help .thanks
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013

Thanks for writing to health care magic.
There could be several causes of such pain. It could be from the bone or ligaments or because of some nerve damage.
A physical examination is required to identify the cause of the pain.
Further certain investigations like X ray of the foot may be required to arrive at a diagnosis.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.