Foot is swollen and painful to walk. Took Tylenol. No effect. Remedy?

Hi......I have two toes and part of my foot that is swollen & a little red and very painful to walk. This is my left foot, and the two toes are to the left of my big toe. This came about a couple of weeks ago, and then just as mysteriously, went away. Now it is back. I have only taken Tylenol and that is not completely effective. I am going to elevate it further and wanted to compress it - but don t know whether to use hot or cold packs. This does not itch , I am not diabetic, I am not overweight and I play golf 2 - 3 times per week. I have never had foot problems before. Can you help, and/or should I use hot or cold packs? Thank You, Virginia
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013