Foot discomfort, severe pain, inflammed area on top of foot, swollen. Should i go for x-ray?

My husband had been complaining of foot discomfort the last couple of days. He thought it might have been his new shoes but then when he came home yesterday after playing 9 holes in his golf shoes which have never caused him foot issues he found he could not walk at all on his right foot and he was in severe pain. He has had issues with gout but the gout had always been in his toes when it flared up. He did say he rolled his foot off the back stairs a few days ago so I am doubting whether it is just another gout flair up or something else. He has a large red inflamed area on the top of his foot above the arch and his foot is swollen. He can put absolutely no weight on the foot and it hurts more when he has it toward the floor than when he elevates it. Should I be insisting we get an x-ray or wait have him take his gout medicine and see what happens?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013