Food poisoning. Vomitting, passing loose stools, temperature. On orni, paracetamol. Still infected, recover?

Hello doc,
I was diagnosed that am suffering fom food poisoning. Unfortunately i had to eat outside and i fell sick vomiting and passing loose stools after 6-7 hours post lunch. The next day i had been to a doc as i had a slight raise in temp about 99.8 degree. My doc prescribed orni-o and a paracetemol dosage for 3 days. As i was on medication i started to pass loose stools with slight traces of blood and mucus. Intake or Orni-o has almost reduced the bood traces and mucous. But now since 3 days i have 2-3 bowel movements a day which are of slightly loose.

I would like to know if am still infected and when will i recover from this illness and when will bowel movements be back to normal
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013
Thanks for using Health Care Magic Forum,

avoid eating raw or undercooked meat or poultry products, including eggs. It is also important to avoid "cross-contamination" which can occur if food is being prepared using the same utensils, or on the same surfaces, as those used for raw or undercooked meats or poultry products.

Wash hands frequently during and after food preparation. Those with a salmonella infection should not be involved in food preparation.

Wash hands with soap after handling reptiles, birds, or after contact with pet feces. Avoid contact between reptiles (turtles, iguanas, other lizards, and snakes) and infants or people with weakened immune systems.

Your Symptoms will disappear as you continue medication for 2 more days.
Drinking fluids to prevent dehydration is usually all that is needed. However, with severe infections, antibiotics and more aggressive treatment to prevent dehydration are often needed.

I Hope I Provided Useful Information. Do ask Furthur Questions to help You get well soon.
Dr.J.Kingson John David
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
With the available described details, there could also be possibility that you are suffering from acute bacterial gastroenteritis which is also called as dysentery.
Presence of loose motions, and blood in stools suggests the diagnosis.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, and serum electrolytes, renal function test.
You should take complete antibiotic therapy, antispasmodics, probiotics, antipyretics, if needed.
You should maintain your hydration status by taking potassium rich liquids.
Take soft diet along with yogurt and banana.
Avoid milk and all milk related products.
Your condition may need admission in hospital.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
General & Family Physician Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 's  Response
Sep 2013
Hello, thanks for the query to H C M
If you would have taken doxycycline , it would have been shown good result, any how , still you have some loose motion not diarrhea.
Stool examination must be in these type of cases. Blood examination will reveal any chronic infection.
Till get an anti-amoebic course at the advice of your doctor.
Drink plenty of tepid water with salt , sugar.
Banana will improve consistency of stool.
Regards. Dr. HET