hello and welcome to HCM,
I am Dr Sriram Nathan and I will try to help you out with your problem.
Since you are mainly worried that your husband gets bouts of gag due to the food going into the wrong pipe, let me give you a few pointers:
1. This is a common problem so at the offset do not worry about the same.
2. Tell him not to speak or talk during eating
3. Avoid spicy and oily food especially in the night
4. Keep a healthy weight and do exercise to increase his muscle tone
which includes your muscles of the digestive tract
5. Reduce caffeinated drinks and also avoid alcohol
6. Do not immediately lie down after a meal
7. Try an anti reflux and motility drug like pan-d which will make his symptoms better. Your doctor will know about this.
If he does not get better then you must get an upper GI endoscopy
and get back to me or any ENT with the reports
Dr Sriram Nathan