Food borne bacterial infection, vomiting, diarrhea. Taking normaxin, econorm. Treatment?

I m a mid 20 s male who s been traveling in XXXXX for a month or so. After experiencing what was likely a food-borne bacterial infection , I took some cipro to help stop the slight fever, vomiting and 30+ very liquify movements that cam on over the course of 24 hours. Started to feel better quickly, but the diarrhea settle into a 3-4 times per day ordeal, often in the mornings and a few hours after a meal. I visited a doctor when I got stationary. He said what I did was good, but he also proscribed me a series of Metro, to ensure I don t have giardia , as well as a series of Normaxin and Econorm to help settle my motility out. I ve also been taking some probiotics as well. I m still not better, though I m having roughly 3 movements a day now, that have the consistency of pudding or yogurt/curd. And over the past two days it s come down to 1-2. But that may be the Normaxin helping to plug me up a tad. I wanted to know what the chances are that things won t settle out. And if they don t, then how long should I wait, once I m back home, to have some detailed tests done (stool sample, colonoscopy , etc I would imagine). I really don t want to get stuck with a long term IBS case due to the initial infection. Also, should I plan to change my diet or do anything special to help my improvement.
Asked On : Sun, 1 Apr 2012