Folliculitis decalvans, recurring hair loss, itchy scalp and bumps on stopping the medicine, taking predisone. Is it safe for a long term?

My son is 19 years old. Very healthy, strong, and eats well. He has had the misfortune of acquiring folliculitis decalvans. It has been 3 months now. He has lost alot of hair , and has taken predisone for 5 weeks. 40mg, then 20mg, then 10mg. Everytime the dose goes down, he notices that he starts to itch again, and new bumps arise. His head is starting to feel swollen again. Is there any hope? I have been researching this scalp disease since he got it, and it doesn t sound good. I am afraid for him to continue with this steroid , because of all the side effects. He has been seeing a dermotologist, and now my husband wants me to find a different one for a second opinion. Can you help?
Asked On : Fri, 4 May 2012