Fluid retention and frequent urination after hip surgery. On antibiotic for UTI. Normal to occure post surgery?

My dad, 84, had hip surgery 10 days ago with a Spinal. In rehab , about 3 days after surgery he was not getting any sleep due to fluid retention and having to get up and urinate frequently and they gave him something , not sure exactly what at this time, to help. He has BPH and since then has not been able to void on his own. Cathiterization has been necessary. Tests cam back that he has UTI and he has been on an antibiotic for almost 3 days with not much relief. Will this situation improve? Is this a normal occurrence post surgery?
Asked On : Sun, 8 Jul 2012