Fluid in right ear, painful. Taking antibiotics, no results, tried cleaning ear, blood. Suggestions?

My husband has had fluid in his right ear now for 7 or 8 days... He went to PCP this past Friday and was put on antibiotics, doxocycline, prednisone and told to take Allegra D and Singuliar. The upper respiratory symptoms have ceased, BUT he has a fluid filled ear that is painful due to pressure he thinks. Ear infections have been a common ailment for most his life but they generally always clear up while on antibiotic treatment. We have tried some home remedies, olive oil, vinegar, alcohol etc. About 30 minutes ago I put some Ciprodex ear drops in, that I found from a previous infection. They were still in date and have been stored properly. He stuck a Q tip in his ear to "clean" away some of the liquid from the entrance to his ear and there is blood on the Q tip!! Do we need to go to the ER??
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013