Flu symptoms, cold sweats, cough, compressed chest, sinus infection, headaches, eye pressure. Why does this happen?

I started with the flu like symptoms 3 weeks ago, muscle and joint aches combined with hot/cold sweats, cold extremities (hands/feet) and convulsive coughing the compressed my chest to evacuate every cc of air in my lungs., also headache and eye pressure. I bed rested for a solid week. I am a normally active 61 year old, 6' 1", 199# male that rides a bike 10 miles (no coasting) every morning. Week #2 I started feeling like I needed to get back to work and did, but not up to speed, only the fires (I'm self employed). Most of the symptoms had minimized, but the lower respiratory, which never went away now turned into a sinus infection, which my wife of 32 years identifies by the smell of my breath. She's almost always right about it.
So I had a prescription of Cipro I had prescribed to take to China with me a year ago in case of illness while away. I started taking it last Saturday and completed it yesterday, 2 250mg a day. Today I Still have the mucous from below and sinus headaches and now have this dizziness, which Cipro is cautioned for.
I take 100 (mcg ?) thyroid for hypothyroidism daily for the last 6 or 7 years and no other drugs. I am allergic to penecilian and tetracycline, but just got back the best blood analysis I have ever had with my physical last December. All systems looked good at the physical. I experienced an event flying back from Alexandria last September where my feet, then legs, then hands, then face started to go numb 10 minutes after takeoff for a 2 hour flight. I thought I was having a heart attack, but made it back to home and went straight to my GP, who stated I had experienced a vasovagil syncope (sp.) - dehydration induced.
So I don't know - this morning starts week 4 of this flu thing and I still am experiencing some changing symptoms including loss of balance, dizziness and no energy.
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013