Flu like symptoms in a child. Weight loss occured, given high fat diet, belly distended and hard. Is this serious from not enought nutrition?

My 2.5 yr old has had flu like symptoms for the better part of a week. We took him in to an Ergent care place 2 days ago and he got 2 bags of fluids for dehydration because of the vomiting and exploding diarea. He seems to be feeling much better today, but the whole ordeal has made him lose weight and he is already in the 5% for weight. I can see all his ribs and backbone way too much. I have given him a higher fat diet today to help put some weight back on him (i.e double milk, peanut butter, etc.). My medical delimma- his belly is looking really distended and is rock hard. Any ideas? Is this serious? Is this related to the flu? From not enough nutrition? or something else?
Asked On : Sun, 8 Apr 2012