Flu followed by itchy rash on arms, tummy spreading to other body parts, rashes resemble sun burns, diagnosed with virus rash. Temporary relief with antihistamines. What else can be taken?

Hi I have had a bout of the real flu . first time in 20 years. I am 46 yrs old, female. A couple of days after I got the flu I got a small dotty rash over arms and tummy. This has now spread to the inside of my thighs, back, tummy and arms and looks like sunburn and itches like blazes. I have bathed in pinetarsol for the last 2 evenings, I have been taking antihistamines for a week now. the antihistamines help for a few hours and then the itching and discomfort starts again with a vengance. I went to the doctor a week ago and he says it is a virus rash. I have had this rash for a weeek now and it is not getting better.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Jun 2012