Fleshy growth on throat/tonsils, painless, irritating while swallowing saliva, mucus collection behind it, possibility of inflammed tonsils or throat cancer

I have a fleshy growth of about quarter inch on my left side of throat / tonsils. ( This is apart from the small tongue in the inner throat area). Though it does not cause any major pain but due to the protution it keeps irritating while swallowing saliva . There also is constant mucus collection behind that area and this has been there for the last 1 week. I usually have regular throat infection related fever. I am worried if this is just a lump due to inflammed tonsils or is it kind of throat cancer. What medication should I take to get rid of this. Have been doing regular salt water gargling for the past couple of days. What food should I avoid. I always avoid cold items which are taken out of freezer like icecreams, cold water etc. I also avoid spicy / oily items. I am also pure vegetarian. Kindly advice.....Thanks & Best Regards,Arvind Krishna Swamy
Asked On : Sat, 26 May 2012