Flank pain, ultrasound showed VUJ stone, advised surgery. An other option?

Hi, My husband got right flank pain yesterday and today he got ultrasound done and we found that he has 7mm right VUJ stone . The Doc advised for a surgery but I want to see if other treatment is possible and also for second opinion. My husband do not like the idea of surgery. He knows a friend who had similar or larger VUJ stone and he had taken medication to break it down and it worked . So he insist on medication. Please advise on whether a 7mm VUJ calculi needs a surgery or not.
Asked On : Thu, 4 Oct 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
The size and situation suggest a good chance to skip surgery! - after all, it is not surgery as you seem to suggest! - the urologist introduces an instrument from below and extracts the stone.
Having come down so far, it can come out too... Collect it, if passed - for analysis and future prevention guide lines
If one is prepared to tolerate possible pain and chance of infection - one can afford to wait
In the meantime, drink plenty of water - more urine to push down the stone
How old is he? Are there any other problems and medications?
God luck