Fitness. Yoga and weight lifting. Body mass increases by? Take nutritional supplements or protein?

Hi, I am 37 years old medical transcriptionist by profession and a fitness freak. Earlier in my 20s, I used to do lot of weightlifting, means sort of bodybuiiding but as soon as I completed my studies and started working for my livelihood, I had to quit weightlifting and turn on to yoga with some light weightlifting exercises. Now that I am self employed and have some spare time, I again thought of pursuing my passion which is for bodybuilding and some heavy exercises.

Now my question is as I have started bodybuilding (not professional) and I am also looking for some increase in body mass and muscles, can I start some nutritional supplements like mass gainer or especially whey protein to assist in muscle gain. I have never used those supplements so I am skeptical about their use and short-term or long-term side effects.

Kindly give yoiur advice.

Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013