Fishbone stuck in gum, causing infection, nausea, headache. Did I wait too long?

i had typed querry but here goes. so awhile back a fishbone got stuck at the back of my mouth, somewhr around the last tooth , its in the gum now and i fear its causing infections, i ve had to take anti bios several times but now i feel nautious and take pain killers for the headaches caused, not daily but often. Querry did i wait too long? will i get serious infection? when i see dentist what will i expect them to do to remove this bone?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Jun 2012