Fingernail has gradually started curving, edges straight, middle grows sharply down. What could the condition be?

I noticed about two years ago that my fingernail on my left ring finger was starting to curve sharply downward but only the white part of the nail and only the middle. The edges still grow straight out, just the middle grows sharply down. This condition is now affecting a total of seven fingers, four on my left hand and three on my right. I keep my nails fairly short, and they curve down as soon as any white shows. I don t think my fingers are clubbing from looking at pictures on the net. I have asked my doctor several times about it and he says that you can t tell anything from fingernails and that its nothing to worry about.
Asked On : Sat, 22 Dec 2012