Finger pulled by a major pull. Why am I unable to bend finger?

I was working at the stable today and a horse I was leading bolted. The chain on the lead rope wrapped around my pinky but pulled off quickly. I am able to bend my finger most of the way now; however my finger is really swollen and badly bruised at both knuckles and to the tip, but not between the is white there...I was told to treat it with Arnica gel, but I am not sure what the white in the middle means...? :S Is there a special way I should be treating it?
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012