Findings of blood in heart going the wrong way, advised appropriate exercise. What could it be and is it critical?

My husband said the Dr told him the blood in his heart was going down the wrong way. I aasked him if the Dr. mentioned a valve problem and he said no. He also said the Dr. said that there was medicine he could take to correct it but the Dr preferred he exercise more and correct it that way. My husband is 75 years old, has high blood pressure , is retired and moderately active. What is the Dr. talking about and should I be worried.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013