Fever, sore throat, coughing up phlegm, cold. Blood in mucus, coughed up scab

I have had a temperature and sore throat and now the top of the back of my throat feels raw. I tend to cough up phlegm when I have a cold with no issues but this time it has felt like there has been something stuck to the top/back of throat. I have managed to clear it a cough it out with some effort and it looks like a rubber scab about the size of my fingernail. There was a tiny tinge of blood on there too. Once I did this the throat felt clear but raw. I still feel like I have a cold. I am a 39 year old male and do not drink or smoke and have a healthy diet. Normally I would not be too bothered but it was the rubber like scab that I coughed from my throat that made me concerned. Thanks
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013