Fever, mucus in throat, dry cough. Is this asthma or whooping cough?

For the past 2.5 weeks, my son has been having asthma-like symptoms. Slight fever . He complains of a lot of mucous in his throat . The asthma-like attacks scare the crap out of me. He has never had any issues before he developed this dry cough . I feel I have the same thing as my sin has w/o the asthma attacks. Is this asthma? Could it possibly be whooping Cough? He barely coughs, though. He went to the doctors, 3 days ago, and treated him with z-pack, inhaler and cough med of some sort with codeine . My son was fine for 2 days with no attacks and then had an attack, tonight. Was mild compared to the others. Is this related to the cold? Will this go away????
Asked On : Mon, 24 Dec 2012