Fever, low WBC, platelet count, elevated liver enzymes. Taking advil, tylenol. Blood test, hepatitis test done. Treatment?

My husband, age 55, had an unexplained fever (99+ to 101.6 range) for four days; low white blood count, low platelet count, elevated liver enzymes . We ve reduced Tylenol/ Advil to minimum; alcohol consumption estimated at 2 drinks per week. Waiting on hepatitus and tick related blood work results. No other symptoms (no sore throat , congestion, etc.). Night sweats . Last night awoke with a headache. Dr. prescribed Doxycylene (100 mg 2x/day) and plans to retest next week; we are on day 3 (5th dosage) of the antibiotic. Family doctor thinks it could be a very bad virus; I am concerned with the lack of other symptoms to be just a virus. Should I ask they test for something else?
Asked On : Sat, 14 Jul 2012