Fever, large lump behind ear oozing pus. What could be going on?

My boyfriend has a fever and a rather large lump behind his ear. The lump behind his ear has been there for a couple weeks and he has squeezed a large amount of puss out of it the past couple of days. It is not as soft as it was before he squeezed the puss out of it and is becoming hard. What may be going on and should he see a doctor soon ?
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi there, He should definitely see a doctor. The lump could be anything from an abscess to a malignancy and it is always better to get it treated then neglect it. Take care.