Fever followed by sore throat, pinprick rash on soles and toe ends. What should be the course of treatment?

My son has had what I have assumed to a viral infection throughout the week with a raised temperature at first followed by a very sore throat and has felt just unwell. The throat is beginning to settle down and he seems to be feeling better in himself but has now developed a pinprick rash on the soles and ends of his toes and also on the end of his fingers. He says it hurts but does not itch . He is 15. I am tempted just to watch and wait as it may just be the later stages of the virus but don t want to ignore it if I should take cation. Could you please advise.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Oct 2012