Fever, coughing, rough surface on tongue. Changing tongue color. What disease is this?

Hi, I am suffering from slight fever and cold and extreme coughing, but, since a couple of days I see there is a patch of abrasive/rough/sore surface that is spreading everywhere in my tongue . I tried medicines, cough syrups but nothing helped! Fever stopped, but the coughing no, the tongue colour is changing and it looks very ugly when i open my mouth. I can t sleep all night because coughing all the time takes all my energy. Please tell me what is this kind of disease or infection?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and I shall try to help you out with your problem

The colour around tongue and the cough since is of a short duration can be due to many causes most of which are begnign and harmless so you do not have anything to worry about.

You may start a course of antibiotic like amox-clav along with an anti reflux medication like pantoprazole. Your doctor will know about these.

Take only non spicy, non oily and warm food and fluids

Look out for any dentures or teeth which is potruded and may be impinging on the said area

Take a course of multivitamin like zincovit in consultation with your doctor

If you do not get better in a week or so then you must consult an ENT doctor who may advice further course of action which may include throat swab and upper GI endoscopy. If the cough persists then you must also get an chest X ray and also complete blood profile and get back to me with the reports.

take care and do not worry

Dr Sriram Nathan