Fever, cold and shivers, nausea, pain in eyes, high BP, blood in stool. Help?

my husband is 51 recently he had a pain in his chest . it went away. then a week later he had a fever (he was much hotter to the touch than normal, his temperature was 48.9) and he had mild tremors (he felt cold and shivery) and was breathing quite fast. I have never known him to breathe like this. He felt nauseous, and had a sharp pain behind the eyes whenever he coughed (he has a small dry persistent cough for 2 years now). The next day he went to the doctor and she said he had high blood pressure 160/100 both lying down and standing, he has always had low blood pressure till now, and she thinks this may be caused by the varnish he had been coating the floor with. A week later his BP had gone down to 140/100. I cannot find any internet information which link a mild fever to high blood pressure. His fever has cleared up, but the high blood pressure is still there. Possible background risks may be exposure to ticks recently, a moderate drinking problem (about 1.5 litres of beer daily) and a family history with heart attack (only 1 case, his grandmother at the age of 65) a problem with blood in the stool for twenty years now, that comes when he is stressed, and then goes again.
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013