Felt tightness in the calf on running, ankle pain extending to toes. Minor injury or serious?

Hello. For the last couple weeks I have been working out with a trainer at a local fitess club. I m overweight , out of shape and 41 yrs of age. I decided to play basketball through my local comm ed on a women s league last night. As I was running, I felt as if someone kicked me in the back of the calf and then couldn t walk normally. It felt like a tight ball in my calf, so I sat, stretched, and tried walking around. It hurts behind my ankle when I go up on my toes and in my lower calf if I flex my foot toward my body. How can I know if I have injured myself more than a strain? No discoloration, no pain on the top of my foot or in shin area, no palpable ball of a muscle bunching up. Thank you for your time. Trina YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

From description , it seems muscular/ ligamentous strain at your lower calf and behind the ankle.

It might occurs due to continous stress to that area.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination.

Meanwhile I advice you to give rest to your calf and ankle. Avoid sport activite for some days.
Always warm up and stretch your muscles before starting sport activity.
You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation after consulting your doctor.

Dr saurabh Guptaj