Fell on knee, swollen and bruise knee, blood pooling in shin, taking naproxen. Should I be concerned?

I fell very hard on my left knee three weeks ago today. Have been seen twice and xray d, no breaks. Swelling and bruising in knee has gone down, but still painful and pops on occasion. What has me concerned is the pooling of blood down my shin , into my instep. Most has cleared up, but I m still getting blue new discoloration. Last night my whole ankle and foot was grossly swollen, red, and hot to the touch. It seems better this morning. Should I be concerened? I am 5 170 lbs, 56 years old. I ve been icing and taking naproxen . neither seem to help much.
Asked On : Fri, 16 Mar 2012

I have studied your case,

Due to blunt injury there can be hematoma collection .The bleeding that occurs result in hematoma collection. Over a period of time, as hematoma resolves it cause local skin symptoms around the hematoma.

Continue ice application, and thrombhophobe ointment may help and take rest.

If required you may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery.
Take precaution to avoid infection around hematoma.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.