Fell off of a chair, soft spot on skull. Anything to be concerned ?

My daughter fell off of a chair onto the tile floor two days ago. She is two years old and this morning I discovered a soft spot on her skull . It is apparent it is fluid over the bone. Is that something that her pediatrician should examine? She is acting normal, does not pull away when I touch the area, and there is no discoloration on the scalp .
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Based on the description, most propably it could be a scalp hematoma (blood clot).

If a scalp hematoma is caused by head trauma and the child is not exhibiting any symptoms, then it is better to supervise and observe their behavior for a time to make sure that symptoms of brain trauma do not appear.

Generally, these scalp hematomas needs no specific measures and it will resolve spontaneously, over time the hematoma and inflammation will reduce in size and become softer as the body breaks down the clot and remove the excess protective fluid.

A CT scan and an xray may be needed to exclude any intracranial hemorrhage.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day