Fell and hit foot, red bruise on stop of foot with swelling. What can I do to speed up the healing process?

I fell thinking I twisted my ankle the other day and am now having severe foot pain at the top. I can see red (or bruising) forming on the stop of my foot and it is still swollen. The fall happened about a week ago. I got an x-ray and was told nothing is broken. I am a runner and am worried I won t be able to train for my marathon this May. What can I do to speed up the healing process? I thought the pain was getting better but after a few days of work I can t walk on it at all again.
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012