Fell and broke ribs and fractured pelvis, resulting in respiratory failure. Could this be due to septic shock?

Is it possible that broken ribs could lead to septic shock . My mother fell in spain broke 3 ribs and fractured pelvis, in hospital for 4 weeks, first week or so was starting to improve then started to deteriorate, resulted in respiratory failure , was intribated and put into induced coma , then major organ failure then died, could this be due to lack of care in the early days after the injury?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Feb 2013