Feet severely burned. Redness, swelling on skin that didn't burned. Is it normal? Medication?

My 16 y/o son works at a restaurant. Last Sat night he was burned very badly when a vat of hot grease spilled over both feet . The tops of his shoes and socks were practically melted and the tops and sides of both feet have first, second, and third degree burns. On Thursday, an urgent care physician debrided the burned skin and gave us one small sheet of aquacel for a dressing change. We just removed the aquacel. Of course, there is raw flesh where it was burned (probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the top and side surface area), but where the skin was not burned has become red and swollen. I have two questions. 1) Is the swelling normal for this type of injury or is this an indication of infection? and 2) What kind of ointment or treatment can I use to re-dress the burn? A friend of mine is an RN and suggested Milk of Magnesia or Solarcaine, but I want to be sure I m doing no harm. Thank you so much for your help! It s 7:30 on a Saturday night (1 week from the burn) and I need to know what to do so he can sleep tonight.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013
Hi Dear
Welcome to the platform of Health care Magic

Dear sir/mm the surrounding area which was not burned is inflamed because of some heat that area has received and this is also a partial burned area along with this there may me some reactionary edema to the burned portion.

Nothing special is required for this area except some application of any antiseptic cream. This will also heal gradually with burned area.
Sometimes this area also gets peeled off and make a raw area. In that case same antibiotic dressing may be required for this area.

Hope he will recover fast.