Feeling weak, legs collapsing. Any ideas?

Hi my name is Alisa. I am 19 years old, and just starting yesterday I became really weak which continued to progress throughout the day. By the end of the day my legs were collapsing whenever I stood for longer than about 30 seconds, and especially when I tried to stand up. It is still happening today, and I am not sure why. I don't feel so weak anymore, but my legs are still giving out. Can you tell me why?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Oct 2013
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
There could be a number of reasons for weak with you legs collapsing. At your age, it is unlikely to be serious. You may be anemic or have a viral infection. Therefore, I suggest you see your doctor for some routine blood tests. In the meantime, you should rest when you can.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA