Feeling of recurrence post partial parotidectomy to remove a benign pleomorphic adenoma tumor. What should be done?

I had a partial parotidectomy last week to remove a benign pleomorphic adenoma tumor from my Parotid gland . A cuff of normal tissue was achieved on three sides but the fourth side was completely wrapped around my eye nerve and the decision was made to attempt to peel the capsule off the nerve without attempting a cuff on that fourth side. My tumor capsule ruptured at my eye nerve upon removal. My surgeon stated that she is confident all of the tumor was gotten out and there is nothing left but did put in a consult with a radiation oncologist because of the rupture. Given that this was a benign situation, the tumor was removed completely although the capsule ruptured, and I am 40 years old and in extremely good health otherwise, I find the referral to a radiation oncologist daunting since (by my understanding) a reoccurance is not guaranteed, only a possibility. This was my first surgery and the site is now clean. What is the indication (if any) for radiation and would you consider that necessary now? It seems that follow up CT scans and MRI s would be the best course for me, but I am not an expert. Jodi
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012