Feeling of extended bone on the right of neck, no pain or fever, seems to be congenital. Is treatment possible?

I feel bone extension on the right side of my neck when I feel my neck near the hollow part in the center, the right side bone is higher than the left up my neck. It does not feel like a lump, it feels like a bone extension on the right side of my neck.. No pain, no fever .. no mobility or shoulder issues. It s from birth. Treatment is possible in that case ?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Oct 2012
Hi there,

From the available information provided by you, it is most likely an additional rib, called cervical rib- a congenital anomaly and is more common in females.

Presence of cervical rib is confirmed on chest X-ray.

There is nothing to worry about or need of surgical removal, as long as you have no problems in the right arm.

Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me, order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable/modified treatment as advised.

In case of any further queries, revert back to me THROUGH DIRECT PREMIUM QUERY (Paid), addressed to me personally. You will receive- almost immediately- my response in great details.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” (5-star rating) to my answer, to ENCOURAGE all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal