Feeling dizzy upon standing. Had the same symptom in the past while having low BP. Worried

Hi, i have a problem of every time i stand up, even if it is not too fast i get a bit dizzy and everything gets dark. Usually when I have a bit of low blood pressure this happens but only if i get up quickly. What seems to be happening here is even if i take my time getting up I get dizzy and blank and have to hold on to something before it passes, which usually takes around ten seconds. What is the problem it is worrying me? Thanks, Jenny.
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is very likely postural hypotension - momentary delay in reflex mechanisms is the usual cause.
It could be POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome).

There may be several other reasons - like electrolyte disturbances, anaemia, arrhythmia and so on. Without idea of your age, personal habits, co-morbidity and family history and so on, it is hazardous to go on guessing more! Only examination and investigation can clarify.

See a doctor
BP needs to be checked standing and lying
Hormones and tilt tests are usual in these circumstances...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
General & Family Physician Dr. Sunil 's  Response
Dizziness caused by standing up is known as orthostatic hypotension or postural hypotension. It is usually caused by an underlying problem, such as dehydration, anemia, heart diseases, nervous system disorders (Parkinson's disease),Diabetes, some medications or hypothyroidism.
To avoid dehydration, drink plenty of water throughout the day and take proper diet.Breath deeply before standing up and moving slowly gradually coming to a standing position.If symptoms do not go away after few minutes and persist longer then seek medical help. You may like to talk to your doctor and rule out underlying causes.
Hope it helps.
Take Care!